Riot Games was established in 2006 by entrepreneurial gamers who believe that player-focused game development can result in great games. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to critical and player acclaim. As the most played PC game in the world, over 100 million play every month. Players form the foundation of our community and it’s for them that we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience.
We’re looking for humble but ambitious, razor-sharp professionals who can teach us a thing or two. We promise to return the favor. Like us, you take play seriously; you’re passionate about games. We embrace those who see things differently, aren’t afraid to experiment, and who have a healthy disregard for constraints.
That's where you come in.
As Data Architect, you'll support the needs of teams across Riot while being an expert on data architecture and operations to deliver, maintain, and administer data depots that help us better understand our players and the player experience. You'll turn data into a craft and a discipline that returns increasing value at Riot.
- Data-experienced: you're pro at data infrastructure, large data warehouse installations, and data flow; you're a Subject Matter Expert on best practices with data; your elevator pitch involves a little something about data quality; you have experience wrangling large relational database rodeos; you've developed and maintained internal tools and likely worked with BI, reporting, data mining, or multi-datacenter applications within PCI-compliant processes
- Data systems savvy: massive amounts of distributed data is the perfect playground setting for you; you converse in the pros and cons of Hadoop; you think more people should be talking about massively parallel processing (MPP); you're more on the front end with Google Analytics; you craft top quality ETL processes; you are comfortable with your head in the AWS cloud
- Up to code: you enjoy trying to beat the CAP theorem; your robust SQL skills, proficiency with UNIX and familiarity with languages such as Java, C/C++, Python, Go, or Bash are accompanied by a strong understanding of systems administration and familiarity with HDFS and MPP database concepts; you've probably stacked experience working with Hadoop, HBase, MySQL, or distributed/MMP database products; you may have even done some work with Kafka or Spark
- A visual data storyteller: you know how to make data tell a story with graphs or other forms of visualizations; you have experience with tools such as Vertica and Tableau and have experience with other platforms such as Platfora, Grafana, Kibana, and Timelion
- Innovative: your years of experience have turned you into a technical alchemist; you're a skilled lateral thinker, pulling insight from data and free-associating yourself into unique perspectives on problems that stump lesser innovators; you solve problems creatively and know that the craziest notion may yield seriously impressive results
- Impactful: you've decreased data footprints tenfold and increased insights a hundredfold; you solve problems teams didn't even know they had; you don't just build individual solutions - you construct platforms to serve entire problem spaces; mention of your name carries the weight of high quality work with it; you're known for creating secure solutions while still achieving big wins
- A communications black belt: you excel at interpreting teams' implied needs to offer useful guidance; you communicate easily in the most appropriate medium, be it email, hallway conversation, sneakernet, or messenger pigeon; you're comfortable collaborating with any specialty of Rioter including business analysts, web engineers, and operations personnel
- Player-focused: as a gamer yourself, you know the importance of listening to player needs, especially the implicit needs that can only be uncovered by analyzing and understanding player data
- Be responsible for designing and running a tight data system that scales by monitoring, maintaining, and optimizing performance and scheduling of ETL processes; when stuff breaks, you'll be there to troubleshoot and fix it
- Design and build new systems that unlock value found in data and make it visible to others
- Help ensure real time analytics are reliably available to teams who depend upon up-to-date data to know when our players are experiencing issues
- Work to accurately aggregate and analyze petabytes of application and system performance metrics to provide deeper insight understanding of the player experience
- Be a data guru at Riot; establish and standardize practices around data and mentor others in your dark arts
- Help design and optimize data warehouse and MySQL database schemas, administer Hadoop, Hive, and MySQL infrastructure, as well as automate our deployment, monitoring, and alerting systems
Don’t forget to include a resume and cover letter. We receive a lot of applications, but we’ll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you take play seriously.