The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) is a membership organization of independently owned insurance companies and is the strategic leader behind the Blue Cross and Blue Shield (BCBS) brand, one of the most recognized brands in America and the choice of nearly 100 Million Americans for their healthcare coverage. There are 36 Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans across the country and internationally which depend on BCBSAs consulting and operational support, enabling them to move proactively to gain a competitive edge in their respective markets.
The Senior Consultant (Healthcare Data Analyst) is responsible for leading the design, execution and write-up of research and analysis on key healthcare and health policy issues to provide information and insights on health and healthcare costs, use and trends, for BCBSA and BCBS Plans to support decision-making in areas including public policy, benefit design, healthcare delivery and resource allocation. This position applies analytical experience with healthcare claims data and other behavioral, demographic and economic data to manage and analyze large data sets using both descriptive statistics and sophisticated quantitative techniques. It also requires the ability to research health related topics through secondary sources. The Senior Consultant presents and discusses findings with research colleagues and with non-technical audiences to build understanding, gather input and feedback and to support publicizing the information. This position interacts with a wide range of internal and external clients from senior leaders to data programmers and builds effective business relationships across all levels. The Senior Consultant advises internal staff on data structuring and integration issues and coaches/guides less experienced analysts in research and analysis techniques.
- Research and analysis – Use analytic tools (such as SAS) to analyze large data sets and summarize key findings in writing and by visualizing with tables, charts and graphs to illustrate important patterns of health, cost and utilization and their trends over time. Conduct secondary research on the topic being investigated and summarize findings to provide context and information from other sources to add support and explanation for the data findings.
- Communication-Develop concise, complete and accurate written information to
- create analytic plans which define the background, objectives and methods for upcoming research projects
- describe secondary research results and summarize key implications
- summarize key findings of research
- Develop presentation materials to describe and explain research results and their implications, varying presentation approach for different purposes/audiences.
- Deliver oral presentations effectively, adjusting to the interest and knowledge level of audiences.
- Provide precise, accurate and insightful oral descriptions of research objectives and methodologies and respond with appropriate detail and focus to questions raised by audiences.
- Project Management – organize and coordinate work to manage multiple mid-size projects to meet interim and final deadlines; provide clear and timely updates to management to communicate progress and status, alerting managers if work is off track and problem solving to get back on track.
Vendor Management – support contracting process with vendors to carry out specific research studies; manage provision of data for analysis; monitor vendor progress and performance to meet contracted terms.
Required Basic Qualifications:
- 5 years of experience in quantitative research and analysis addressing health care / health policy issues
- Formal training in advanced quantitative techniques including linear modeling, time series analysis, and non-parametric estimation
- Experience working with large data sets and resolving data management, integration and validation issues
- Experience organizing and synthesizing quantitative data results to identify key findings for business audiences
- Proficiency in SAS, R and SQL programming, and MS Office products
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field required. Masters a big plus.
Preferred Basic Qualifications:
- Experience presenting research results to non-technical audiences
- Experience conducting research to inform business issues/priorities
- Experience working collaboratively in a team environment
- Masters or PhD in Epidemiology
Blue Cross Blue Shield Association is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected characteristics.